In the scrolls of 1150 for the first time is attested the presence of St. Adam among the chapels of Lower Sabina. It stands on the grave eponymous hermit lived in the XI century, Blessed to say the truth, as decreed by Pope Urban VIII in 1634, and not Saint.
The chapel was enlarged in the fifteenth century, when the current church was edificated. A single nave, with late Gothic paintings, are prominent and rare in Sabina Region. A semicircular apse is depicted in the upper register, representing the Coronation of the Virgin between St. Lucia, St. Vicinio, St. Sebastian and St. Adam, recognizable by the mule’s paw that holds in her right hand in reference to the miracle of healing from him accomplished, consecrated him as protector of animals.
In the lower register, originally articulated in four panels, two depictions representing the Virgin, St.Adam and St. Lucy can be clearly admired. On the walls we can notice frescos of other saints, including St. Sebastian, St. Francis and St. Anthony of Padua, as well as the Madonna del Latte (Virgin of the Milk) and a Virgin of Mercy, frequent in Sabina, made to perform such votive offerings from the faithful. The walls were probably almost totally covered in frescoes. The restoration began in March 2015 basically confirms this hypothesis.
On May 3rd was celebrated the anniversary of the saint and there is a free matched fair, granted by Pius IX on December 9, 1846.
The church, for a long time jus patronage of Cati family, passed at a later stage to Mr Bolton and then donated to the City of Cantalupo, was restored by the Superintendence for the Historical Anthropological Heritage of Lazio, in 2014.
Today, in the Church – loved by the citizens of Cantalupo – weddings are held with both civil and religious rite, and hosts several cultural events.